Sunday, June 22, 2008

Bird Nest



On our front door, we hung a flowery wreath made by my mother-in-law, Cece. I had this wreath hanging in Las Vegas, and now it has traveled cross-country to Maryland. One day recently, Al was looking at it, and noticed what appeared to be a little tunnel into the basket that resides in the middle of the wreath. He said he thought a bird was building a nest in our wreath. Sure enough, a couple of days later, a bird flew right past Al's head as he walked out the front door, and gave him quite a scare. A day or two after that, I opened the front door and the poor bird flew into our house after flying right past my ear and making me squeal! Fortunately, we were able to get her out of the house without too much trauma, but we decided to relocate her nest. Next to the door, on the siding of the house, there was a screw already in place, so I carefully attached some wire to the back of the wreath and hung it on the screw.

During the moving process, I looked into the nest (Mrs. Bird was not inside while I was moving her house)and saw eggs!!! How exciting! So we now have a resident bird and hopefully one day soon we will hear the little chirps of five baby birds.

Since we have to walk past her nest each time we go in and out our front door, we are now careful to prepare ourselves in case Mrs. Bird launches out of her nest and nearly into our heads. It makes coming and going from our house much more exciting. Quite an adrenaline rush can be obtained when a bird flies right past your nose!

4 comments:

anna banana said...

That is a fun thing, I have always wanted to see the real birds eggs in their nest, but never have. Awesome!

jamieBEE said...

Mrs. Bird sounds like a great security system! :) That will scare away the robbers for sure!

The Foulgers said...

Wow, that is amazing! Hopefully you'll get to see the baby birds!

Nicole said...

Wow that is pretty exciting! I'm sure it's fun for Gavin to have a nest with real eggs in it.